Friday, September 12, 2008

Repeating Lessons

One of the most difficult struggles I have fought as a minister has been my desire to always present something "new", something my audience has never heard or thought of, everytime I teach or preach. Thankfully, God has slowly delivered me from this over the past decade or so. Luther has been one of the means the Lord has used to convict me of my foolishness on this matter. You and I need to hear the "same old doctrine" repeated over and over and over again!

Luther loved the book of Galatians and lectured on it at least 6 times. In 1535 he wrote a forward to lectures he gave on the book in 1531-1532. Note the opening paragraph of his forward.

We have taken it upon ourselves in the Lord's name to lecture on this Epistle of Paul to the Galatians once more. This is not because we want to teach something new or unknown, for by the grace of God Paul is now very well known to you. But it is because, as I often warn you, there is a clear and present danger that the devil may take away from us the pure doctrine of faith and may substitute for it the doctrines of works and of human traditions. It is very necessary, therefore, that this doctrine of faith be continually read and heard in public.


God has given the good doctor great wisdom in these remarks. We need to hear the clear teaching of the Lord again, no matter how many times we have heard it before!

You don't have to be "new" everytime you preach and teach. You simply need to be Scriptural.

No comments: