Wednesday, January 31, 2018

What Has Beer Got To Do With Heaven?

I do not drink alcoholic beverages and do not recommend them to others. Yet, the Bible commands us not to be drunk. It doesn't say a believer cannot drink something alcoholic.

However, reflecting on my college days is sometimes heartbreaking for alcohol ruined part of my time during those days. It has deprived me of memories (some, I suspect, are better off forgotten!). Thankfully, the Lord removed all desire for such beverages when He regenerated my soul. He certainly knew I could not (and would not) give it up on my own volition.

Martin Luther is my Christian role model. I try to emulate those traits which were godly and positive for living and avoid those which were not. As a human, he had both. As a German, he loved his beer (for those who snicker at Luther as my model and prefer someone like Spurgeon, remember CHS loved his cigars!). Here is one of his more famous quotes:

"Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!"

Sorry, Dr. Martin, but I will take a pass.

No comments: